Saturday, February 2, 2013

Chowderfest 2013

When I finally woke up this morning (finally meaning 8:30, which is late around these parts lately), the sky was that leaden heavy grey and it looked and felt like snow . For whatever reason, Neil had a shitty night and was awake between 2am and 4am. I think it was farts, but honestly I'm sick of giving him excuses. He babbled to me and I snuggled against him in my bed until his conversation gave way to the sandman. So Colin gave me an extra hour to sleep it off this morning...

While Neil took his morning nap I visited the farmers market. In the winter it is literally a block away from where we live, but the walk had a chilly edge. The proximity of the market, fresh produce, local meat and live bluegrass...these wonderful things are not lost on me. We are lucky. The winter market is held in an elementary school, and I love to look at the children's art while I wait to exchange my empty milk bottles for full ones. It's always so bright and cheerful.

When I got back we headed downtown for the 15th annual Chowderfest. If you haven't gone, let me be the first to say that it is a lot of standing around in the cold for a little bit of chowder from each participating restaurant in town. Great for you if you have a beer jacket on. But Colin did it right this year, and with the HUGE prospect of a long sleeved t shirt on the horizon, we zipped through five restaurants to claim our prize.

Afterward we hit up the Henry St Taproom for a couple good beers and a seat by the fireplace. Neil played ladies man as usual. I actually enjoyed the way this panned out this year. Sure, there was no drunken craziness, no fights, no late night pool, no bar hopping. But now we're tucked away at home, with a homebrewed milk stout, watching the Devils play and the snow fly. I do believe I like this version of Chowderfest better.

























No comments:

Post a Comment