Friday, April 27, 2012

Izzy. Tell your story. Listen.

I read recently that Jon Katz, a local author, had to euthanize his beloved border collie Izzy due to a strong and aggressive cancer.  My heart goes out to Jon and his family, Izzy really was a special dog. Two years ago, when I was very sick, I thought it would be a good idea to get out of the house and take a writing class with Jon.  I remember throwing up before getting in the truck to drive to Glens Falls in frigid March weather, listening to Phish's Joy on repeat.  I was so out of it most of the time I don't even remember how I got there, or how I got home.  I probably shouldn't have gone to those classes, and I didn't finish the course.  But the few times I did go, Izzy, a hospice dog, sat with me. He allowed me to focus and take in some of what Jon was saying.  Everyone has a story.  Tell your story. Whether through song, or writing or photography, your story is important and deserves to be heard.  That important lesson has stayed with me, especially when I get frustrated with other people.  Everyone has a story.  Listen. 

I'll always be grateful to Izzy for singling me out.  For settling down at my side those cold nights and sharing his calm presence when I could barely stay upright in my chair.  It is amazing what dogs can do for people.

Thank you Izzy.

Izzy, March 2010




No comments:

Post a Comment