Saturday, March 24, 2012

FAQ

  It's just before 11a.m. on a cloudy Saturday here in Saratoga.  Colin is out helping the neighbors clear out their apartment and begin a new life somewhere in North Carolina.  We weren't really close with these guys, but wish the best of luck to Holly, her baby daddy, Michael and baby Patience.  I can't say it's the nicest day we've ever had, especially after the warm streak of luck that we've been graced with.  The magnolia tree's pink blooms are starting to unfurl, and the lilac and viburnum bushes are both adorned with tiny green leaves.  I'd say all of the plants around here are about 3 weeks early in their development.  I can't say I haven't been a sucker either.  The 70's got me planting lettuce, peas, spinach and swiss chard two months before our last frost date. I've never taken this chance before, but all I really have to lose is a few dollars in seed packets and a few hours spent in the sun.  Anyway, now that it's back to typical March weather, I'm happy to spend my time inside with Fletch. 

Throughout my pregnancy I've been asked the same questions over and over, so I thought I'd address them here on the blog to help solidify my answers.

Do you have any cravings?
Men typically ask this question, and I think they're looking for bizarre answers or "massive amounts of fried chicken" as a response.  Sorry guys.  As the baby grows, I'm finding it harder and harder to eat "normal" meal sizes, and instead have started to trade out the three square for a constant graze.  We went to Maestro's last night, and I really couldn't finish my entree of rock shrimp carbonara, as delicious as it was.  Feeling full does not feel good.  As far as cravings go, I really didn't think I had any specific ones.  And then I realized that I had five bottles of various lemonades in the fridge and a 3lb bag of lemons sitting on my dining room table.  I can now answer this question with confidence...my pregnancy craving is lemons.

How are you feeling?
I get this a lot...and mostly I feel fine...although sometimes I feel like I'm regressing back into "cry at nothing" phase.  Emotionally I feel unprepared and like I have a lot to learn in a short amount of time.  I am even more apt to tell people how I actually feel about them, which is nothing short of scary.  Physically, nothing's really bothering me.  My back hurts at the end of the day, but it's nothing drastic.  The most annoying part of pregnancy is feeling "fat".  I can't stand the feeling of extra weight on myself, and I can't understand how people go through life with obesity.  Especially in the warmer temperatures I frequently caught myself wishing I could take the fat suit off and lay it aside for a while.  Lying down helps remedy this.  I really hope I can go down to near my normal weight after the baby is born...it just doesn't feel comfortable to have a belly. 

Do you know what you're going to name him?
We have narrowed our names to a short list, and I'm fairly confident that I know what the baby's name will be. Colin and I still have to make the final decision.  But there is no way in hell that anyone is going to know the name before the baby is born.  Sorry...but I think everyone knows enough already and would like to keep this part to ourselves for the sake of our sanity.  Which brings me to the next question...

Why do you call him Fletch?
Fletch is a book written by George McDonald about a witty journalist turned haphazard investigator.  You may remember the movie...Chevy Chase played Fletch.  We both read this book back in the fall and for whatever reason, the name stuck.  For those who haven't had the unique opportunity to experience pregnancy yet, I highly recommend giving your baby a nickname.  It helps people identify with the baby and it keeps them off your back about a "real" name.

How's the baby?
For those who have the pleasure (haha) of hanging out with me through this insane phase of my life, they already know that I'm getting pummeled. Most of the time it is entertaining.  Fletch tends to wake up a half hour before I do, so he's kind of functioning as my morning alarm these days.  His feet are directly aimed at my liver, and his hands are further down on the left side of my belly.  Swift kicks to the liver aren't that fun, and often lead to me exclaiming out loud during meetings and other quiet times.  (Doesn't this kid know I already beat my liver up enough in college?).  Fletch likes to move a lot during downtime.  Mornings, sitting, lying down and iced drinks will get him moving.  Driving, music, showers and walking tend to calm him down (I'm noticing a similarity between us here...).  I have yet to play the flashlight trick, although I read recently I can start annoying him with a well-placed beam.  Why I would want to induce another soccer match with my organs is beyond my comprehension at the moment. 

Are you going back to work after baby?
Yes.  Eventually.  I'm still putting this area of my life into place.

What does Doug think about all this?
We've been spending a lot of time together, but I haven't heard him voice his opinion on this matter yet.  Mostly it's been chicken poop, farts, spring smells and stealing.  The stuff of life.







No comments:

Post a Comment