Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The fish aren't for sale

A few nights ago I stopped by the consignment shop on the way home from work, just because I could.  Well, honestly, there's this glass chicken bowl I've been eyeing up for the past couple of weeks, and I wanted to make sure it's still there.  I walked in the front door and spotted it right away, roosting safely in its display case.  I doubt there are many souls in Saratoga that would ask for the keys to get at the chicken bowl...so I decided to wait for a price reduction and wander the store.  I'll be damned if I'm to be that crazy woman who drops 30 bucks (bawk bawks?) on a yellow hobnail chicken. Not this girl.  I made it around the perimeter of the store and came up with a small gift and a vintage ugly winter (not Christmas) sweater.  Who knows when I might need one...and besides, its got two deer on it...my nature preschoolers would eat that shit up.  The store was busy and nearing closing hours and I stood in line eyeing up the merchandise.  After sufficiently zoning out to the glass chicken, my eyes ventured upwards to a mobile.  A FISH mobile.  The half brown, half iridescent minnows were just swimming in air drafts.  They were 60's, they were loud/subtle, and they were soothing.  Just the sort of thing I'd like up in say, my crib. Hey!  "Will that be all?" my sweet young cashier asked.  I smiled, "Are the fish for sale?" Before she could answer, her ill-tempered, older coworker hauled up to the counter.  "The FISH are NOT for SALE".  Almost laughing, I left the shiners hanging from the tiled ceiling.  It's part of my plan now...a mobile of fish.  Since then I've had dreams that I've been fishing.  Not Phishing, and not computer hacking, but fly fishing.  And I've come to the conclusion that I'd like to teach my kid how to do that.  Dads are usually in charge of this kind of outdoor rite-of-passage.  Every Father's Day Price Chopper fills their racks with cards depicting blue sailboats and fishing poles and docks and wicker trout baskets while mothers get gardens and hearts.  That's certainly not going to stop me though.  After all, the fish may not be for sale, but I'm completely hooked on the idea. 

10 Weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment